Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Film: Headhunters (Hodejegerne)

Director: Morton Tyldum
Genre: Thriller
Source:Norway (2011)
Rating: R
Location/Format: Netflix Streaming
Grade:B

Having recently read Jo Nesbo's The Snowman, I was intrigued to find a film based on one of his novels on Netflix Streaming. The good news is I think the film is a lot better than the book I read, so I guess his stories translate well into motion. The story is rather Hitchcockian, with an art theft MacGuffin and a chase wherein one of the party's involved doesn't know why the chase is happening. Roger, the protagonist, is vain and successful, but he is also clearly suffering from a bit of a Napoleonic complex, trying to make up for his small stature (he's 5'6", which is depressing in that he is only an inch shorter than me, but I suppose if I everyone around me was tall and Nordic I would notice my height a little more as well)--particularly in regards to his tall and beautiful wife. So he steals great works of art (there is a typically movie-fictional explanation for why this successful businessman moonlights as an art thief, as well as a technological trick that nearly suspends disbelief, but you just have to go with it) in order to provide her with the lifestyle he thinks she deserves and expects. 

The movie shines as it explores the depths to which Roger will go to stay alive, literally dragging him through more shit than one man should be able to take. As he puts the pieces together, his cleverness and intelligence begin to shine through, though in ways darker and more graphic than in any Hitchcock movie. On the other hand, Hitchcock loved pushing buttons and making audiences uncomfortable, so I think he would have enjoyed this one--especially the intense turns leading up to and following a major car crash and the highly entertaining third act.

I don't think I've seen a Norwegian film before--or if I have I can't remember--but Headhunters definitely opens the door for more. I'm glad I took the time to watch this, even if it wasn't on my Instant Watch queue.

Alternate Film Title: "Stop Following Me, Jerk"

2 comments:

  1. Troll Hunter was Norwegian. You saw that, right? RIGHT????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about that one! Yes I did. That was definitely more innovative and creative than this one, but I enjoyed this too.

    ReplyDelete