Friday, May 24, 2013

Book: The Illusion of Separateness

I wish I had found the time to write this review much earlier, because much of the novel has slipped out of my mind at this point. Van Booy's intentions and central theme is stated clearly in the novel's title, a variation of the semi-famous Thich Nhat Hanh quote "We are here to awaken from the illusion of our separateness." Van Booy creates story after story, each the piece of the life of a character, each story woven together by coincidence, by choice, by fate/God, for better or for worse. Thing of the film Crash, but with more sensitivity and gentleness (and perhaps less ego).

Van Booy's characters are gentle souls who touch each other's lives in sometimes inconsequential and sometimes shocking ways, and by the time the story comes back full circle at the end of the novel, it is both expected and satisfying. The spirit of the novel is so sweet (despite some of the occasionally appalling acts described) that I can see the novel becoming a favorite of book clubs in the coming year, and I don't think that's a bad thing at all. I expected to be turned off by it, but instead I found myself moved and recommending it to friends. The lack of long-term impact of the novel impedes my whole-hearted recommendation, but it's still a very fast and very enjoyable read.

I should also point out that I received an advanced copy of this novel due to Powell's Indiespensible Book Club, and free reader's edition of novels is just one of many possible perks that club offers in addition to autographed and custom-slipcased novels. It's $40 every six weeks or so, but the enjoyment of getting a surprise box every so often is worth it. I highly recommend it.

Grade for Indiespensible Book Club: A
Grade for the Book: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment