Monday, December 16, 2013

Film: Primer

Director: Shane Carruth
Genre: Sci-Fi Drama
Source: USA (2004)
Rating: PG-13
Location/Format: Netflix Instant Watch
Grade: B+


Without question, the pleasure of this film comes from trying to piece together exactly what happened and the shock of discovering (as you watch) that things are not what you understood them to be. An additional piece of that pleasure comes from scouring the Internet for theories and explanations for what occurred, as individuals try to explain every technological and chronological aspect of the film. Many refer to it as the best time travel movie ever, and while I'm not sure I agree (I'm sorry, but Timecrimes knocked my socks off, and Back to the Future will always hold a special place in my heart, as ridiculous as it may be), it is without question intensely committed to the realism of its central time travel conceit--from the technological gibberish at the film's opening, to the carefully thought about "rules" of how this system works, to the willingness not to explain several seemingly important details (like physical deterioration, etc.). It's all very fun, wrapped up in a veneer of intensity and seriousness. Though I think if I had come to the film without having heard so often how great it was, I might have liked it even more. It had a lot of expectation to live up to.

What does still blow my mind is the fact that director Shane Carruth was able to pull off as much as he did for only $7,000. I mean, $7,000! That's like, a fraction of the craft services budget on a modest Hollywood film! Sure, it means give and take in the acting department, and creating a little more confusion as to who's doing what than is necessary due to special effects constraints, and in generic sets and sometimes bad lighting. But still, Carruth takes those limitations and makes them work in some seriously impressive ways. He may not be my favorite independent filmmaker, but he's certainly an exciting one. I'll have to check out his second film, Upstream Color, in the near future. If he can create something like this on $7,000, imagine what he could do if someone tossed a little money his way.

I hope something special.



No comments:

Post a Comment