Thursday, July 4, 2013

Film: Casa de mi Padre

Director: Matt Piedmont
Genre: Comedy
Source: USA (2012)
Rating: R
Location/Format: Netflix Instant Streaming
Grade: B-


Definitely a minor film in the Will Ferrell pantheon, but even minor Will Ferrell is pretty funny in my book. Apparently I have very plebeian tastes.  I think I would have enjoyed the film a bit more if I had a little more familiarity with the object of parody, but having not seen a lot of Spanish melodramas or telenovelas, a few of the jokes were just a little flat and too heavy handed--the "cuts" that feature unedited moments at the end of the scene, the "apology" from the assistant director for the bad fight scene, the stuffed panther. I can see the low-budget idea they were going for, but it was a little too "nose on the head" for me.

Other moments really worked well because they worked in the background. I laughed out loud during the wedding shootout when the one guy who didn't get shot just sits at the edge of the screen smoking, for example. The cuts to random songs, though more blatant, also made me laugh. 

And so did Ferrell. His casting is a bit of lunacy, but it actually works, because he plays the least favorite son who loves the land with the same sincerity he plays Ron Burgandy.

It helps that he he has a talented cast to go along with him: Gael Garcia Bernal in particular seems to be having a whole lot of fun with his role, casually surveying his drug empire with glee. 

I don't know, I feel like this is kind of a "secret" Will Ferrell movie, but if it were in English it would have done all right. It may not be an Anchorman  or Step Brothers, but it's funnier than Blades of Glory and The Campaign

Alternate Film Title: "Hispanic Actors Get Some Work--Still Only Supporting Roles"

No comments:

Post a Comment