Friday, August 30, 2013

Film: Waking Ned Devine

Director: Kirk Jones
Genre: Comedy
Source: Ireland (1998)
Rating: PG
Location/Format: Netflix Instant Watch
Grade: B-


I haven't watched this movie in about a decade, but it still entertained. It's not particularly profound or innovative film making, but it is a delightful little story. Ian Bannen and David Kelley make a really funny pair, and the image of Kelley riding a motorcycle naked will always by hilarious. There are great themes about community and friendship, but they're pretty much there on the surface, so I don't have much interesting insight.

Great bonus this time around: James Nesbitt! After seeing him in films like (the similarly themed) Millions and shows like Jekyll, it's great to see him here earlier in his career. He's not playing a weighty role like some of his future gigs would be, but he's still sharp as Pig Finn, the pig farmer.

It's just an entertaining little romp that you can give to anyone to enjoy. Not much else to say.

Sad confession: I've watched a ton of British and Irish film in my life, but I still found the accents really hard to follow for about ten minutes or so. Is that just me? Or do they start "really Irish" and then tone it down a bit.

Alternate Film Title: "Skinny Naked Man on Motorcycle!" (I mean, come on.)

No comments:

Post a Comment