Saturday, June 8, 2013

Film: The Awakening

Director: Nick Murphy
Genre: Supernatural Horror
Source: UK (2011)
Rating: R
Location/Format: Netflix Instant Streaming
Grade: B-


I'm not sure why I watch horror movies sometimes. I'm really a big scaredy-cat. So I can't say I gave this film my full attention as I watched. Instead I did some housework and browsed reddit on my iPad, so I will admit to not fully engaging myself in the movie, and that's on me.

But I still was pleasantly surprised. Led by a trio of strong British actors (Rebecca Hall, Dominic West, Imelda Staunton), the film treads over territory you may have seen before, most notably conjuring movies like The Others (one of my favorite ghost movies) or Shutter Island, wherein things aren't all that they seem. But that's not a knock. There's still plenty of creepy imagery, atmosphere, and jump scares to make it pretty solid. The dollhouse, for example, is not a fresh idea, but it still works well here. A little bad CG for one major effect gets in the way, but not enough to undercut my enjoyment overall.

And stylistically, I really thought the film stood out. The cinematography provides an appropriate tone for the film even before creepy things start to happen. Set in 1921, the film is full of shadow and desaturated colors, and even the sunlight feels cold. The costumes and the school/house that provides the setting of the movie also work well to create a bleak and somewhat disturbing atmosphere. Hall in particular thrives here, as she begins to question her own beliefs and sanity as the film goes on. Given the world she's wandering through however, it's not particularly surprising. If I were in her place I might start to believe that there really are things that go bump in the night as well.

Overall the film works, and it was not a bad way to spend an afternoon. Definitely afternoon, though. Evening or night and I think I might have had to pay even less attention so as not to be too frightened. As mentioned, I am a bit of a pansy.

Alternate Film Title: "Creepiest Rabbit Head Doll Ever"

No comments:

Post a Comment