Thursday, June 6, 2013

Film: The Dictator

Director: Larry Charles
Genre: Comedy, supposedly
Source: USA (2012)
Rating: R
Location/Format: Netflix Instant Streaming
Grade: F


It's really strange to see Ben Kingsley absolutely dominate in something like Sexy Beast just a few days ago and then watch this. I guess everybody needs a paycheck now and then.

Apparently the magic of Ali G and Borat cannot strike every time, because this movie was terrible. While I laughed a few times (mostly at Jason Mantzoukas), nearly every line in this film was offensive and dumb. Offensive I can forgive and see the satiric reason for. Dumb is just dumb. 

I could break this down a lot more into why it didn't work, why it's preachiness was redundant and ineffective, why Anna Faris should not be hired ever again, but I don't have the energy to do so. The 83 minutes I spent watching this movie is about 82 minutes longer than I should have spent on it. 

Alternate Film Title: "Charlie Chaplin Did It So Much Better"

No comments:

Post a Comment