Sunday, June 16, 2013

Film: The Red Violin

Director: Francois Girard
Genre: Drama
Source: Canada (1998)
Rating: R
Location/Format: DVD
Grade: C


Though there are interesting ideas to be found here, the multiple narratives of The Red Violin in some ways compete against themselves. Certainly viewers will be drawn to some narratives over others (I was particularly fond of the Pussin/Kaspar story), and lost interest in the violin and its meaning in some of the other stories (I admit I fell asleep briefly during the China scene). I understand that there are some bigger themes being explored here regarding fate and destiny, choice and accountability, etc. but the movie didn't compel me enough to get drawn into them, and if the revelation of the Red Violin's origins were meant to be a surprise at the end . . . well, they weren't.

The idea of tracing the history and importance of an object--and how it gains historic, emotional, personal significance--is interesting, but the final scenes of the film undercut that for me. I've seen a lot of debate online about what Samuel L. Jackson's actions at the end might mean, but I'm not sure I care enough to get enmeshed in them. 

Alternate Film Title: "Samuel L. Jackson Loves Auctions"

No comments:

Post a Comment